Sorry for falling off the bandwagon! So many things have gone on the last few weeks and I’ve neglected to post. I’m hoping to get back on track these next few months so bear with me! After being frequently asked about my diet I figured I’d share with you the food you’ll typically find me eating during the work week. I try to eat pretty clean during the work week and focus on balanced meals between my protein, carbs, and fats. The foods I eat help me to stay healthy and typically keep my blood sugar regulated so I don’t have intense sugar cravings.
1. Eggs: Breakfast for me is either scrambled eggs with spinach (and sometimes turkey or lox) or if I’m on the run, hard-boiled eggs with salt, pepper, and old bay! Eggs are delicious and packed with protein to start your day the right way.
2. Broccoli: Either steamed or roasted, you’ll find broccoli on my dinner plate or in my lunch as a side vegetable. Honestly I’m surprised I don’t get sick of it, but with olive oil, salt, and pepper you get calcium, fiber, and even some protein from these greens.
3. Spinach: I try to include spinach in my eggs most mornings, and always have it as the base lettuce in my salads. Super nutritious, lots of fiber, and again, calcium!
4. Grilled Chicken: Sunday nights my boyfriend grills 5-6 chicken breasts that we use throughout the week. Although by Wednesday I’m “chickened out,” they are such a great source of protein, quick to cook, and easy to thrown in salads, or have with rice and/or veggies.
5. Sweet Potatoes: I LOVE sweet potatoes. Honestly I could eat them at every meal. Breakfast — have one with a fried egg on top OR cut up and make a sweet potato hash. Lunch — by itself (if a large enough potato — I promise they are insanely filling!) with salt and pepper, OR with Trader Joe’s crunchy almond butter and salt. Dinner – side to a meat and broccoli. Sweet Potatoes are a GREAT carb to eat pre or post exercise!! They have tons of health benefits and are delicious however you choose to cook them.
6. Almond & Peanut Butter: I’d say 70% of my healthy fats come from almond and / or peanut butter. Some days I go a little over board but tend to eat it on my bananas, sweet potatoes, apples, and right out of the jar :). Post to come later on my favorite brands!
7. Protein Bars: Perfect bars, quest bars, and rise bars are among my favorites, but I love having protein bars for my 3 pm snack or for breakfast when I’m low on time.
8. Apples: Fuji or Honeycrisp: I love having these as a snack during the day or with my breakfast. I like them best after being stored in the fridge, cut up, with either cinnamon sprinkled on top and with almond or peanut butter.
That about wraps it up!! I wanted to keep the list small and tried to stick to 5, but I have too many favorites. Please remember this is NOT my daily intake of food and definitely doesn’t take into account everything I eat. These foods are just typical in my day to day routine and help me to stay in check during the week!